Education Faculty for JBFC Summer at the Lab
The Jacob Burns Film Center, located in Pleasantville NY, is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution dedicated to presenting the best of independent, documentary and world cinema, promoting visual literacy and making film a vibrant part of the community.
The Jacob Burns Film Center seeks a full-time lead faculty member to lead one three-week session (July 23-August 10) of Summer @ the Lab for students age 12-13.
Over 85,000 students in grades 3-12 and college have participated in our education programs, more than 50% of them from underserved communities throughout the tri-state area. Their participation, including transportation, is funded entirely by the JBFC, thanks in part to support from individuals, foundations, and corporations. Programs range from film, animation and new media production to experiments in emergent technologies – each course helping students master the tools of 21st century communication while fostering intellectual curiosity and creative exploration.
The JBFC Theater houses three screens and is open to the public 365 days a year. Exhibitions include first-run independent features, previews, classic films, and documentaries from around the world. Each month, we present two to four curated series including annual and monthly programs, as well as special one-time events and retrospectives on important film artists. More than 150 directors, actors, authors, scholars, and other remarkable guests come to speak with our audience each year.
- Designing projects in collaboration with the Camp Director
- Leading a group of ten campers in a variety of media projects, including, but not limited to, sound design, video, and animation
- Managing two Camp Counselors and two Counselors-in-Training
- Hosting screenings for family members on the last day of each camp session
- Participating in weekly planning and reflection meetings with fellow faculty members and the Camp Director
Applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Experience teaching middle school students
- Passion for working with youth
- Interest in film and/or arts education
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to multitask
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Experience in media production and/or media studies
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a creative team
- Strong experience with Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, and other media related software
- Experience with Mac computers, HD Video Cameras and Microphones
HOW TO APPLY