Director of Education
BRIC Arts | Media | Bklyn is seeking a creative and strategic-thinking Director of Education, to unite and expand our youth education offerings.
BRIC presents art and media programs that reflect Brooklyn’s creativity and diversity, and provides resources to launch, nurture and showcase artists and media makers. We advance access to and understanding of arts and media by presenting free and low-cost programming, and by offering education and other public programs to people of all ages.
BRIC’s offerings currently include contemporary art exhibitions and public programs at BRIC Rotunda Gallery; presentation of music, dance and theater performances (our flagship performing arts program being the Celebrate Brooklyn! Performing Arts Festival); community produced public-access television programming (Brooklyn Free Speech TV); in-house produced television programming (Brooklyn Independent Television).
BRIC’s current programs also include a well-developed and highly regarded contemporary art education program in the public schools, an adult community media education program, and a small community media program in the public schools. We also have internship programs in all three disciplines.
BRIC’s programmatic offerings will expand significantly with the late 2012 opening of BRIC Arts | Media House, a new cultural center that will house a major contemporary art exhibition space, two performance spaces, and significantly upgraded and expanded community media facilities.
This is a new position, dedicated to unifying our youth education programs under a common framework, and growing our offerings for youth, both on and off-site. The Director of Education will report to the Executive Director and be a key member of BRIC’s senior management team.
- Analyze current education offerings and help shape a shared pedagogical framework across disciplines
- Develop curriculum frameworks and arts assessment tools that reflect BRIC’s goals for its education program and ensure BRIC curricula align with New York State and City educational standards.
- Working with the Executive Director and current Education staff, develop short, mid- and long-term goals for the expansion and development of BRIC school-based residencies, with a particular eye towards growing school-based programming for media and creating a school-based performing arts education program, and establishing multi- and inter-disciplinary residencies as appropriate
- Working with the Executive Director, Program Directors and current Education staff, and based on an analysis of local arts/media education needs and gaps, develop short, mid- and long-term goals for non-school based youth programming, including developing plans for a BRIC House summer program, and expanded family programs
- Identify infrastructure needs for additional resources, technology and staff to achieve those goals; assist in developing budgets and approve expenditures within budget authority
- Work with the Executive Director and Director of Development to identify and secure additional funding sources to support expanded offerings.
- Manage roll-out of approved expansion plans for media and performing arts
- Develop a cohesive framework for BRIC’s various internship programs and working with the Program Directors, help oversee the deployment of that framework in each discipline
- Develop orientation and professional development/evaluation programs for artist teachers, helping to build a community of professional artists with background in teaching in all disciplines
- Assist in designing quantitative measures and collecting data to enable statistical program assessment; work with existing education staff to create improved, systematic, consistent processes for data collection
- Together with other BRIC education staff, represent BRIC in public forums and the larger education community
- Serve as liaison on education programming to board of directors
- Infuse across the organization a sense of continued engagement and excitement about BRIC’s educational offerings.
- Working with the Community Media Program Director, plan youth educational programming to be offered in conjunction with a new Youth Media channel (currently under development) and oversee staff implementing that educational programming.
- Provide executive management of the Contemporary Art Education program
- Supervise Education Program Assistant, Manager of Youth Education for Community Media and, in the future, a corollary position for Performing Arts
- Oversee the hiring process for artist teachers
- Masters degree or higher in relevant field;
- Five or more years arts /media teaching and curriculum development experience
- Deep experience in education planning and assessment
- Three or more years in a senior management position at a cultural institution, with significant supervisory experience
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and leadership skills;
- Excellent statistical and quantitative analysis skills
Schedule: Full time
Salary: mid-high $70’s, depending on experience.
full benefits package included
BRIC is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Email [email protected]
Please put your cover letter in the body of the email, attach your resume and put “Director of Education” as the subject.