Youth Media Education Coordinator
TITLE: Youth Media Education Coordinator
START DATE: Immediate Opening
BENEFITS: Health, Dental, and Vision. Generous Vacation and Holiday Allowances
The Youth Media Education Coordinator will work on a variety of projects that engage youth in preventing dating and sexual violence. Through methods such as classroom education, social and digital media, policy advocacy and community action. The primary focus of the Coordinator will be to build leadership skills among youth program participants. This position is based in the Prevention Division at Peace Over Violence in the Downtown Metro office.
- Solicit, schedule and conduct classroom presentations on violence prevention education to groups of youth in different communities and schools
- Train youth on different projects that include media- i.e digital stories, music videos, etc.
- Identifying and train potential and emerging leaders in developing youth leadership through the Youth Over Violence training institute
- Develop, coordinate and support Students Together Organizing Peace (STOP) activism clubs on high school campuses
- Assist in developing a plan for outreach and education to the underserved populations in service area in coordination with other Peace Over Violence staff
- Assist with speaking engagements, trainings, and information tables as requested on sexual assault, domestic violence and/or POV services
- Network with rape crisis centers, schools, businesses and other community based organizations to develop opportunities to disseminate the agency message
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and assist in outreach to culturally diverse populations, particularly within school campuses
- Attend multidisciplinary meetings with community service providers, school personnel, etc.
- Represent Peace Over Violence to the public and media, when necessary.
- Adhere to necessary grant requirements for statistical tracking and program evaluation
- Collect, record and analyze agency services data/activity; participate with all program staff, Metro & WSGV, to analyze such data for use in agency prevention and community education.
- Develop, update and revise outreach and prevention materials, as necessary
- Attend in-services, agency staff meeting, annual agency functions, and other agency meetings as needed
- Maintain accurate time sheets and agency paperwork
- In-depth knowledge of sexual assault, domestic violence, teen dating violence and prevention efforts
- Strong background on digital media and performing arts (required)
- Familiarity with social media i.e, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Knowledge with WordPress
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to facilitate group discussion
- Experience in training and engaging community members on violence prevention and education
- Complete Peace Over Violence’s counselor/advocate training, Violence Prevention Specialist training
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to multi-task
- Experience with women’s multi-cultural organizing and programming
- Capacity to relate to varying age levels (ie Middle School, High School, University, Seniors)
- Ability to work with groups, individuals, volunteers and staff in a non-judgmental manner
- Initiative and professionalism; ability to work independently & maintain work load
- Strong & effective written communication skills
- Capacity to balance and provide self-care while meeting the demands of a crisis center
- Computer and Technology Literacy required: email, word documents, internet basics, use of training technology
- Flexible Schedule; capacity to work some weekends and/or evenings
- Automobile needed with a valid driver’s license and insurance
Applicants may submit a resume and cover letter to:
Lili Herrera Prevention Division Director
1015 Wilshire Blvd. Ste 200
Los Angeles, Ca.