Free Spirit Media News / Global Girl Media Program Coordinator
Job Title: FSM News / Global Girl Media Program Coordinator
Reports To: Program Manager
Supervises: Program Assistant
The FSM News / Global Girl Media Program Coordinator (Program Coordinator) is a full-time staff position, which will require a dynamic individual who is able to work directly with high school age youth to spark creativity, confidence, and leadership through journalism and video production. The Program Coordinator is responsible for delivering two FSM programs: FSM News, a four-day per week after school program for youth on the West Side of Chicago, and Global Girl Media, an intense 4 week summer program, which continues through weekly meetings throughout the school year. The Program Coordinator is a team player, who can maintain focus, perspective, attitude, and attention to detail in a fast-paced, creative, and youth-driven environment.
Through this position, FSM also will partner with Global Girl Media to deliver an innovative digital journalism academy for girls. By working with Global Girl Media, FSM will be able to connect Chicago youth journalists with young women across the world.
Free Spirit Media is a non-profit organization based in Chicago partnering with schools to provide education, access, and media production opportunities to underserved urban youth. FSM participants develop creative, technical, and communication skills as they produce youth media products. FSM News youth focus on producing full newscasts, which air at the end of FSM HoopsHIGH on CAN TV Channel 19 (Saturdays from 8:00-10 p.m.). In addition, ABC7 features all of the FSM News shows on their community page. Please see www.freespiritmedia.org for more information
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and design media production programming, including writing curriculum and lesson plans, as well as teaching and instructing youth/students on video production, specializing in news and journalism
- Prepare and implement daily lessons, including lessons on camera operations, editing, producing, directing, and reporting
- Develop and facilitate 4 week intensive summer journalism program for high school age girls
- Create and maintain youth development environment where youth/students receive academic, artistic, social and emotional support
- Production Operations – Support youth in producing weekly newscast
- Technical Operations – Participate in care, set up, and management of camera and editing equipment
- Manage recruitment and retention of all FSM News and Global Girl Media participants
- Manage attendance, participant paperwork, and stipends
- Supervise and coach Free Spirit Media Program Assistant
- Coordinate After School Matters partnership
- Coordinate partnership with other Global Girl Media news crews, nationally and internationally
- Coordinate and cultivate relationships with local media professionals to serve as guest speakers and field trip hosts
- Work collaboratively with school administration and other service providers to ensure quality program delivery
- Participate in FSM meetings and professional development trainings
- Support FSM reporting and evaluation efforts
Qualifications, Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree (BA) or greater from a four-year college or university preferred
- Experience working with high school aged students in education, after school, or youth development settings
- Experience working with youth representing diverse cultures, ethnicities, languages, and abilities
- Experience working with high school age girls
- Experience or interest in designing and developing project-based programming with youth
- Experience in production of video, film, or journalism, as well as post-production tools, such as Final Cut Pro
- Experience or interest in using new media tools to support youth production and distribution
- Ability to use effective and persuasive speech and writing in instruction, presentations, meetings, and site visits
This is a full-time position. Hours may exceed 40 hours per/week. FSM News and Global Girl Media are out of school time programs, therefore, evening and weekend hours are common.
Free Spirit Media is an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Please e-mail resume, cover letter, and salary history to:
Free Spirit Media
Please no phone calls